May 31st, 2016
This seminar is the outcome of a joint effort between the Haruv Institute and the Brookdale Institute. The seminar hosts world-renowned experts in the field of child abuse and neglect. In the course of the seminar, attended by policy-makers and researchers, research projects or evidence-based intervention programs in this field are presented, followed by a discussion.
On May 31st, 2016 a lecture was given by Prof. Howard Dubowitz, Professor of Pediatrics and director of the Families Center at the Maryland University School of Medicine in Baltimore.
Prof. Dubowitz lecture was part of a day seminar at Ashdod on the subject of neglect. The topic of his lecture was “Preventing Child Maltreatment: A Role for Child Health Professionals”. The lecture was given in English with simultaneous translation. 80 professionals attended on that day.
Following the lecture, programs for prevention and intervention were presented, including the SafeCare program, the Strong Communities program, the PURPLE shaken baby syndrome prevention program, and the “Breath of Relief” Program.
Additionally, a discussion was held on programs on preventing child maltreatment, with the participation of:
• Prof. Asher Ben-Arieh, Director of Haruv institute
• Ms. Ronit Tzur, Director of Social Services Administration, Ashdod
• Dr. Manuel Katz, Chairman, The Israel Ambulatory Pediatric Association, and president of the Goshen Organization
• Ms. Iris Menda Ben-Yaakov, Director, the Unit for Sexuality and the Prevention of Maltreatment of Children and Adolescents, the Psychological Consultation Service of the Ministry of education
• Dr. Tal Arazi, senior researcher, the Myers-JDC-Brookdale Institute